Sunshine Law Policy
It is the policy of the Missouri State Treasurer’s office to comply with the provisions of Chapter 610. RSMo., which is commonly referred to as the Sunshine Law. In furtherance of this policy, it is noted:
- Section 610.023.1, RSMo. provides that a public governmental body is to appoint a custodian who is to be responsible for the maintenance of that body’s records and the identity and location of the custodian is to be made available upon request; and
- Section 610.026, RSMo. provides that a public governmental body may prescribe reasonable fees for providing access to or furnishing copies of public records, and that those fees shall not exceed the actual cost of document search and duplication; and
- Section 610.028.2, RSMo. provides that a public governmental body shall provide a reasonable written policy in compliance with Sections 610.010 to 610.030, RSMo commonly referred to as the Sunshine Law, regarding the release of information on any meeting, record or vote.
In accordance with the provisions of the Sunshine Law, the following is adopted as the policy of the State Treasurer’s office:
- That the general counsel is appointed custodian of the records of the State Treasurer’s office and that such custodian is located at the Missouri State Capitol, P.O. Box 210, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102.
- That the custodian shall make public records available for inspection and copying during regular business hours at the Harry S Truman building as provided by law. When another time or place is more convenient to the parties, the custodian may designate other employees to make alternative arrangements for the production of public records for inspection and/or copying.
- That the custodian shall respond to all requests for access to or copies of a public record within the time period provided by statute, except in those circumstances authorized by statute.
- That the fee which may be charged for access to or furnishing copies of public records shall be hereinafter provided said fees having been determined to comply with the provisions of Section 610.026 RSMo.
- A fee of $40.00 per hour for activities performed by attorneys.
- A fee of $20.00 per hour for activities performed by other staff including time required to locate, prepare and copy responsive documents.
- A fee of $.10 per page for copies of a document.
- A fee which includes only the cost of copies, equipment use, programming and staff time required in the production of a public record maintained on computer, facilities, recording tapes or discs, videotapes or films, pictures, slides, graphics, illustrations or similar audio or visual items or devices.
- Documents may be furnished without charge or at a reduced charge when the State Treasurer’s office determines that waiver or reduction of the fee is in a public interest because it is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of the operations or activities of the State Treasurer’s office and is not primarily in the commercial interest of the requestor.
- The above fees may be required to be paid in advance.
- All records retained by or of the Missouri State Treasurer’s office, whether created internally or obtained from any source whatsoever, are closed to the extent allowed by law.